Many people in San Diego have businesses, significant assets, or children to support. As a result, premarital agreements – also known as prenuptial agreements or "prenups" – have become a wise choice as couples enter a marriage. A premarital agreement outlines the needs and expectations of each party and allows for couples to discuss financial matters before marriage.
It is wise to create a well-crafted and clearly defined premarital agreement in the event of an unforeseen future divorce, since prenuptial agreements help prevent what would otherwise be an expensive and litigious end to the marriage.
At Moore, Schulman & Moore, APC, our San Diego prenup lawyers draft prenuptial agreements and review them to ensure fairness and compliance with the California Uniform Premarital Agreement Act.
Call (858) 492-7968 today to arrange for an initial consultation with a San Diego prenup attorney. We Serve San Diego, Del Mar & All of San Diego County!
What Is a Prenuptial Agreement?
A prenuptial agreement or "prenup" is a contract that explains how assets will be distributed in the event of divorce or death. These agreements vary widely but content commonly includes:
If you wish to sign a prenuptial agreement, our San Diego prenuptial agreement lawyers can take care of all the details on your behalf to ensure the agreement is comprehensive and personalized.
How to Get a Prenup in San Diego County
- Decide if a prenuptial agreement is right for you – Do you and/or your partner have assets and/or property that you want to protect in the event of a divorce? If so, then a prenup may be right for you.
- Hire a prenup lawyer near you – Even for simple, straightforward prenups, it is important to have a San Diego prenuptial attorney review the documents and ensure that no important points were missed and no mistakes were made
- Discuss your assets with your fiancé(e), partner, or spouse – With your attorney's guidance, talk to your fiancé(e), partner, or spouse and decide what exactly will happen to all of your assets, properties, accounts, debts, and belongings in the event that your marriage ends.
- Draft your prenuptial agreement – Your prenup lawyer can then help you draft an airtight prenuptial agreement that outlines everything you and your fiancé(e), partner, or spouse agreed upon.
- Finalize the prenup – Your prenup must be it writing, voluntarily signed and dated by both parties, and notarized.
Be sure to make several copies of the final document, as well, for safekeeping.
We Can Determine the Validity of a Prenuptial Agreement
Premarital agreements are often contested and litigation is required to determine the validity of the agreement. Our San Diego prenup attorneys have extensive experience in drafting premarital agreements and help defend or invalidate premarital agreements. Our expansive knowledge of prenuptial agreements and our experience with contested prenups allows us to review your premarital agreement and the circumstances surrounding the creation of the agreement.
In doing so, our San Diego prenuptial agreement lawyers near you can advise you as to whether it will likely be upheld or invalidated in court. We can assist you in litigating the validity of the premarital agreement or assist you in drafting a post-nuptial agreement to protect your assets if there are doubts as to the validity of your premarital agreement during the marriage.
Have Questions? Contact a San Diego Prenuptial Attorney.
Prenuptial agreements are very complex and must be carefully drafted or defended by skilled San Diego prenup lawyers. Our skilled legal team is knowledgeable and understands how prenuptial agreements and postnuptial agreements work and how they are challenged in court. Our San Diego prenup lawyers can put our more than 200 years of collective experience to work in drafting or defending your premarital agreement.
Need to draft, contest, or defend a premarital agreement? Get a high-quality San Diego prenuptial agreement lawyer with years of experience on your side. Contact us today!
Certified Ten of our attorneys have earned the distinction of certified family law specialist.
Equipped Skilled in litigation and mediation, we are prepared to handle any type of divorce.
Attentive We respond quickly to clients and ensure they are always informed about their case.
Seasoned Our professionals have more than 200 years of combined family law experience.
Request a Consultation Today
David Schulman Founding Partner & Board Certified Expert in Family Law
Erik Moore Founding Partner & Board Certified Expert in Family Law
Jeremy Boyer Partner & Board Certified Expert in Family Law
Lauren Schmidt Partner & Board Certified Expert in Family Law
Julie Westerman Partner & Board Certified Expert in Family Law
Kevin Polis Partner & Board Certified Expert in Family Law
Bryan Yerger Associate
Sarah Bear Associate
Jillian Minter Associate
Isabel Steinmetz Associate
Lindsey Dentino Associate