San Diego Legal Separation Lawyer
Are You Seeking a Legal Separation in San Diego?
An alternative to divorce, legal separation allows couples to live separately while remaining married. Moore, Schulman & Moore, APC has helped countless couples with legal separation in San Diego and the surrounding areas. If you are considering a legal separation and would like to discuss your questions and concerns with an attorney, we invite you to contact our firm to schedule a consultation.
Tell us about your case. Schedule your initial case evaluation today.
What is Legal Separation?
Much like divorce, legal separation involves the elements of property division, child custody, and child support matters. The key difference is that even though the parties will no longer share finances, property, or custody of their children, they are still legally married. This means that the parties are not free to remarry or enter into a domestic partnership until they decide to divorce their spouse.
Couples may choose legal separation for any of the following reasons:
- Divorce violates the couple’s religious beliefs
- The couple has not yet met California’s six-month residency requirement for divorce
- The couple wishes to separate their finances without terminating spousal status (i.e. to keep benefits or medical insurance)
- The couple wishes to quickly separate finances before the tax year ends
- The couple wants the immediate effect of legal separation, whereas divorce can take a minimum of six months